I am seeking advice from people who have either been volunteers in the past or who have had volunteers work for them. Here are my basic questions I am seeking answers to:
As a Supervisor:
1. Can you overwork a volunteer?
2. How do you know when you are reaching that "overworked" breaking point?
3. What specific things have you done to benefit your volunteers and keep them satisfied in their work? (other than money type things...gift cards etc..)
4. Do you set boundaries for your volunteers so they do not get abused for their work availability?
Volunteers:
1. As a volunteer, what boundaries have you set for yourself so as to stay happy in your volunteer job?
2. What things/appreciations genuinely make you feel satisfied about the work you are doing and the people you are helping?
Thanks for your input. I've never been in charge of volunteers before. It's my desire to treat them well, not take advantage of them and ultimately have them leaving the job site feeling better about themselves. Any advice that leads to these results would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Monday, March 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
These are all great questions. I have volunteer as long as I can remember to many degrees from a few hours a week to 40 hours a week. #1 yes you can burn out a volunteer
#2 When you see that they are weary, but most people don't notice or ask because they don't want to know.
#3 You can encourage a volunteer with notes of things you notice they are doing. In youth we called them "Timothy Notes" because Timothy was an encourager. You might include a Bible verse of encouragement.
#4 I was burnt out when I volunteered 40 hours a week because the people I volunteered made me feel quilty for not doing more and would say there is no one else.
#5 Our new Pastor protected me from any ministries until I had the rest I needed and only then allowed me to volunteer when I wanted and how much I wanted.
So now I take on short term projects, I more control over time, money and energy that I'm able to give.
#6 I love to volunteer, good communication is key, confronting issues that may come up in love over tea or coffee or dinner is good. Praying is even better.
I like the story of Daniel because he prayed 3 times a day for the Lord to guide his direction.
Substitute teachers are not exactly volunteers--but they do not get paid much. I ask them how much they want to be involved--some say only certain days, or a certain number of days a week. I find that some say "no" if called in early morning, but "yes" when called the day before. Respect their time and often express your gratitude for their contributions. Sometime, you must tell a volunteer that they must conform to a rule or a procedure--be up front with what you expect of them before they begin. Check in often to see if their situation has changed. Find out why they want to help--help them fulfill their expectation s and goals.
(isn't that a bummer when you ask the whole world for advice, and only your parents give it?)
I loved what the parentals had to say. =)
Volunteers absolutely can get burned out. (I know I have on a few occasions). I think keeping an eye on the attitude of a person is a big clue on how they're doing. If they are looking a little out of it, they probably could use some encouragement. I know I felt a little more upbeat about the task at hand when whoever was supervising made an effort towards my well being. And asking for input is always fantastic. So many people I know love brainstorming, while volunteering, to make the whole experience that much better for everyone. I think it makes a person feel appreciated and some great ideas can come to the table. And I agree with Mom Forbes... seriously important to know what is expected before you start. That way everyone is on the same page.
I'm excited to hear how everything goes for you guys!! We're praying for you.
Lissa:
You are sooooo wise to ask thesee questions. I agree with everything that has been said. Communication on a consistant basis, expresion of appreciation, and just knowing that what you are doing is making a difference is vital.
Because too few people are willing to give of the little time they have, people who volunteer have a tendancy to be taken advantage of. Supervisors must be ever dilligent not to fall into this trap.
Honey, you are a loving and caring human being. Hold your volunteers ever in prayer and solicit feed back on a regular basis. Grams M
My husband is reading a really good book right now on this subject. It is called "My First Two Years In Youth Ministry." It is written by Fields. He is from Rick Warrens Church out in California.
From my leading volunteer experience I've noticed they don't like to feel like they are wasting their time. Being ready for them with worthwhile projects and not just work to fill their time is valuable.
I'm sure you've seen there is a fine line with working with volunteers- they don't have to be there yet often they are worked harder than paid staff. It probably would help to see why they wanted to volunteer and what they are expecting to get out of the experience.
Also I think volunteers want to be included as "staff". If you have meetings or worship events, invite your volunteers- that way they get to know the other staff members and most likely connect in the way that they really want to.
Post a Comment