Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Meat day!
Today we stocked our freezer FULL of good grass fed beef from a local farmer. I'm so excited about it! Today feels like Christmas. Here's how it worked. Our friend had the contact with the farmer. She knows how they care for their cows and what they feed them...all good and healthy things. We decided to share the cow 3 ways...I don't think a full cow would have even fit in our freezer! This will be plenty of meat.
All three of us got together at my house this afternoon...kids and all! We divided all of the cuts based on type and then began putting them into three piles...well, large coolers.
I just put our meat in the laundry room until I had time to get it out to the freezer. I'm so surprised at how much meat there was!! I'm really hoping this will last us all year. In fact I made a list of all the cuts we have and how many pounds of ground beef so that it will help me meal plan as the year goes along.
Here's the run down of what I got:
38lbs of ground beef,
3 pot roasts,
2 Boneless cross rib roasts,
1 boneless rump roast,
1 Brisket,
1 tri tip,
3 sirloin tip steaks,
3 tenderized round steaks,
5 Ribeye steaks,
3 soup bones,
2 boneless stews,
5 tenderized steaks,
3 top sirloin steaks,
4 NY steaks
Believe it or not, between the beef and my summer berries we are FULL in the freezer. Ahhh this makes me feel so good! I'm really getting more and more excited about eating food that is grown in my yard or by people I know. In many ways it makes me feel better about what I'm putting into my family. We've watched a lot of documentaries lately about food and the affects they can have on you and I've been reading some books about farming organically. All of these sources have certainly made me think twice, even three times about what I'm putting on our plates at home.
It's a very long journey to eat fully off your own land, but I'm hoping someday we can get there. This is just a small start to that goal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is awesome Roo Way to go
How fun
Wow! I think that's really great! Good for you!
Post a Comment