.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

laundry

We made this today...excited to try it out tomorrow: Homemade Laundry Detergent 1/3 bar Fels Naptha Laundry Soap, grated 6 cups water 1/2 cup washing soda 1/2 cup borax To make homemade laundry detergent, heat 6 cups water and soap in a large pan until dissolved. Stir in washing soda and Borax. Mix and heat until dissolved. Boil 15 minutes. Remove from heat. (It will have the consistency of honey.*) In a 3 or 5 gallon bucket, add 1 quart of hot water, then add the soap mixture. Mix. Add enough cold water to make a 2 gallon mixture. Mix until well blended. Let sit 24 hours. The soap will gel*. Use 1/2 cup for each load. Makes 2 gallons. (Approximately $ .40 per gallon) *If the homemade laundry detergent doesn’t gel or reach honey consistency it will still work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope it works out laundry detergent is so expensive and we really go through it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a great $ saver...looks like a fun project.

Reid, Kim, Cohen, and Graidy said...

I had to make laundry detergent for awhile because of Cohen's allergies and stuff. I used this exact recipe except we couldn't use that bar of soap because it had citric acid it. Which was what we were trying to get away from! I loved using it and how much it was saving for us but after a few months it wasn't getting our clothes as clean. I tried making a few different batches to see what was going on but I couldn't figure it out! You'll have to let me know if you run into the same problem after awhile!

Lissa said...

the soap turned out great. It is a little chunky, but I just shake the bottle up before I pour it out and that helps. I like the smell a lot. We used a mild hypoallergenic goats milk soap for the scent. After the clothes are dried you really can't smell a distinct smell. It just smells clean.

It did make a lot more soap than what I was expecting, so I just cleaned out a milk jug and put the leftover soap in there.
Charlotte enjoyed watching the process and it was very fast too!

Jenny said...

I think I have these ingredients and I love your smaller batch instructions. I am going to give this at try!