.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Happy Mothers

I don't usually write about a book until I've read it, which honestly isn't very often. But I did just hear an interview with the author of this book: The 10 Habits of Happy Mothers by Meg Meeker and it sounded great!
She mentioned that the concept of her book was inspired by one of my favorite books, Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster.
That definitely perked my interest in reading further.

From the interview it sounded like she is speaking mostly to mothers who feel pressure to be perfect, to raise successful kids, to give your kids every opportunity to be successful, to manage life perfectly etc...
One point that I thought was very convicting and so true...she said most mothers (most people) when they meet other mothers usually size each other up to see how you may compare as a mother/wife/healthy person etc.. "how smart are her kids? what programs do they get involved in? How fit is she? does she seem to have it all together?" etc... you get that picture. Anyway, she stressed in her interview that her book focuses on the core purpose of why we choose to be mothers to begin with. She emphasized the importance of using your time to be in relationship with your family members.

Like I said, I haven't read the book yet, but I'm intrigued to pick it up and give it a try. Those are the initial thoughts based on her radio interview. I hope the book is just as good if not better.

4 comments:

Reid, Kim, Cohen, and Graidy said...

Lissa, thanks for sharing. I haven't heard of this book but I will definitely be getting it! I have a few friends that alwayssssss do the comparing thing and it drives me nuts! :) I would really like to read this and get a reminder to not get caught up in that awful habit! Thanks!

dan and cheryl forbes said...

It does sound good....

Eric Stuewe said...

Great stuff, Lis. I don't like that comparing thing either....just gets to me.

Wandering Knapps said...

Sounds like a must read! My mom will always remind me when I am at the end of my rope, that the only thing that matters is to share the Love of Jesus with our kids. I know that's why I stay home, to be the one influenceing my children, and not the world. So why should I let the world influence me, on how to raise my child. Let me know how it is.. I'll check my librarby.