.

Monday, June 10, 2013

And so it begins..

Summer has begun and so has our food preservation. We made 2 trips to the local strawberry patch. The first trip was short lived as the littles were not ready for a long stint in the field. That's alright, they got their full share of fresh strawberry snack while my mom and I hurried through the field and gathered as many ripe berries as we could. Later that same week I found myself in the car all by myself....no one was with me! I couldn't believe it! Nate was watching the girls at home, so I decided to make an unplanned stop at the berry field to make up for lost time from the previous trip. Boy did that make a difference! 35lbs of berries total from both trips. Strawberry jam, dried strawberries, fresh strawberries and frozen too. We are stocked for the year in strawberries!

Next on my list is raspberries, cherries, blueberries, and peaches, pears, blackberries, grapes and apples. It looks like our own grape vine might be doing really well this year. I can still remember the taste of our own dried grapes from last september. I thought the 3 large containers would last us through Christmas, but they didn't even see the light of October. Nothing like the real raisins to make you want to plant more vines!


3 comments:

Eric Stuewe said...

WOW my mouth is watering after reading this post. Where are some strawberries!!!

Anonymous said...

that's great that you got more strawberries, I didn't unfortunately.
Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Glad you got some more strawberries...yea for berry crops!
Sure makes life sweeter!