

...my thoughts exactly! What IS a pastie? Well on recommendation of Jenny Muth, Nate and I stopped along side the road at one of the dozen Pastie stands along the U.P.
A pastie is kind of like a pot pie with potatoes, meat, vegetables and a gravey sauce you can pour over it. It was a delightful little meal! I think the best part of the pastie was the little restaurant we ate at...it was definitely a landmark type place. Oh you know what I mean. I am pretty sure they sold every type of souvenir possible...key chains, magnets, little glasses with your name on it, stickers, t-shirts, you name it! And the couple who owned it had been there for YEARS!!
The drive along the Upper Peninsula was gorgeous! I'm still so amazed at how HUGE the Great Lakes really are! We couldn't see the other side of the lake...it looked like an ocean!
2 comments:
For the uninitiated, a pastie is pronounced "pah--stee" and is a "YOUPER" (resident of the U.P.--Upper Penninsula)tradition brought over form the UK by Cornish miners. It was a sort of sandwich lunch they could eat down in the mines. But to be authentic, it had to include turnips, the cheapest vegetable thay had (this was before Britain had potatoes in quantity). Usually no meat either--and the gravy is an American addition. With all those factors, the traditional pastie would not be such a taste treat, at least not to me!
well, who knew, dad? Glad you had some fun with pasties!
Post a Comment