.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

fact or myth?

rule #1: you are not allowed to google the answer. Just answer how you were taught/experienced.

Scenario: If you have a broken light bulb in a socket. What is the best way of removing it safely? 

any suggestions? We have a broken light bulb in a socket.....and yes, we've googled it... there seems to be a mixed review of facts/myths. 

If you have experienced this first hand, please let us know how you went about fixing it. 

thanks!

10 comments:

Heidi Pender said...

Michael says he read somewhere you're supposed to stick a raw potato in it and unscrew that way. He also says he tried it one time and couldn't get it to work so he finally gave up and used needle-nosed pliers that worked well, however dangerous.

Lissa said...

Thanks Heidi! I should have known Michael has done this before:)
yes, Nate walked into the livingroom holding a potato. I asked him what he was doing and he explained the situation. I had never heard of that before, so we googled it and found all kinds of strange ways of fixing it. Mostly it came down to using pliers.... With the electricity turned off. We'll try it out tomorrow.

Good to know we weren't the only ones thinking of using produce to fix a light bulb:)

Jenny said...

I once used a wadded up newspaper - but there were little edges I could grasp. Probably not the safest either.

Anonymous said...

I have done the raw potato thing it works. I've also used the Pliers, I prefer the needle nose pliers you get a better grip. Just make sure you have the light off and power source off,other wise you may get shocked.
I have done that before, getting shocked and not getting shocked.

Amy said...

whatever you do, just turn off the power!

dan and cheryl forbes said...

I never heard of a potato--but it seems like the moisture would be as good a conductor of electricity as a pair of pliars.
I have used needle-nozed pliars with plastic coated handles with the switch off--I didn't worry about the power source as I trust the plastic handles. This always worked.

Wandering Knapps said...

huh. I appreciate this. I am learning a lot. So how did the light bulb break in the socket anyway?

BCricket said...

Depending on the kind of lightbulb, I have used either the raw potato thing or twisted it out with a pair of needlenose pliers. First thng fist though, ALWAYS UNPLUG THE LAMP FIRST!!!!! I know someone who made that mistake and forgot to do that first. It wasn't fun.

Anonymous said...

I have heard the potato theory!

Anonymous said...

What I have heard is to use a bar of soap! I don't think I saw this as a suggestion yet! AH.... but by now, I'm sure you have already solved the dilema! Aunt Cindy