I am a craigslist junkie.
As a kid I was probably more familiar with antique stores and valuable items than the average 9 year old. Over a course of many years I watched my mom slowly collect her favorite dish set piece by piece. We made frequent trips into antique stores. Sometimes our errand runs just happened to pass by the antique stores. The musty smell became ever so familiar as did the white head ladies in pink sweaters. For the longest time my mom's Christmas and birthday gifts were pieces found in local stores.
The coveted turkey platter was the hardest to find and certainly the most rewarding to welcome into our home. I don't have too many vivid memories of our trips, but I do remember the turkey platter find. Oh the excitment!
Unlike some antiques, these dishes haven't known dust as they are often brought out for family get togethers.
Well as I said before, I'm a craigslist junkie. It's the antique store of today minus the musty smells and those sweet ladies in pink sweaters.
We are now owners of our own liberty blue set. Thanks to craigslist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Lissa I love your writing and stories. Musty smells and little old ladies with pink sweaters.
I'm getting up there I should start looking for a pink sweater.
Your find in one trip was better than all the years it took me to find my dishes.
congrats on the good find.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment