Today, well most days, I have realized what a blessing it has been to be a part of the Common house. For those of you who don't know what that is, Nate and I have been living in a common house for the past 5 months that is owned by a guy named Bruce. He has owned this house for about 16 years now and in that time has housed several people for all sorts of durations of time. Some people have lived here for a short stint of a few weeks and some people have called this place home for nearly 7 years. His purpose in having this home is to have an intentional community with the people who live in it during that time.
Right now Nate and I are the only people besides Bruce living in the main portion of the house. We had another housemate, Tyler, during the summer but he moved out to go back to school in the fall. In our basement there is a small apartment that 3 college girls occupy. They are mostly self sustained down there, so we may run into them in the joined laundry room or out in the driveway.
Probably my most favorite part of living here has been the instant community that it has provided for Nate and I. Bruce's friends come by every now and again and have become some of our friends too. Our friends do the same and Bruce is included in that. We play games at night and have our favorite house shows that we all watch together.
We all take turns in making the dinners and doing the house grocery shopping. I like that because it relieves each person of doing it all themselves. Also, in these past few months I have pretty much been a sickly person, so both Nate and Bruce have been taking care of the needs here.
We have a backyard and it's full of kids toys!!! ha ha! The reason for that is that the three adjoining houses around this house each have 2 kids of their own, All of them are under the age of 6 and they like to get together to play. Bruce likes to share his things, so he has created stone pathways from each of these homes to lead into his backyard. Most days I will look out our window and see the kids playing in the lawn! It's nice to see them enjoying it since they themselves don't have big backyards like we do.
I think that Nate and I will learn a lot from living in this house. So far it has been a great experience and we are excited to be here.
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm happy for you Nate and Liss, It's good to be home. there is so much to be thankful for and home is just one of them. I'm glad you feel at home at the common house. The painting looks great so far and I look forward to seeing the finish work. The Lord is very good in his provision for all of us.
Love, mom
That's great you guys! Sounds like a lot of fun!
I think you guys should come out here to Tampa and we can turn our house into a community home.. Of course I will also invite David Crisman and maybe a few others....
Your thoughts?
Ha HA!!! I think that would be great! I'm not so sure how much we would actually "work"...we would be having too much fun out there!
I'm going to check your blog...
Post a Comment