Friday I had my follow up appointment to see my midwife. She said I seemed to be my healthy self again which was really good to hear.
We had done an autopsy on Isaac to find out what might have caused his premature death. The genetics report came back saying that he had a 69xxy triploidy....we googled it and found that it is caused when two sperm fertilize the egg at the exact same time. The baby has multiple sets of paternal chromosomes combined with only 1 set of maternal chromosomes. Which basically means it's an abnormal fertilization. Most of these babies will die within the first or second trimester. But if they do make it through full term they will most likely not make it more than a few hours. At least that's what google said. =) We're going to have a meeting with genetics to learn more about this. Our main concern is if it is going to happen again. But I found online that it is very rare and usually only happens in 1 pregnancy out of 10,000. So hopefully that is the case. Our midwife seemed to think that it was a very sporadic genetic thing and shouldn't happen again.
But if any of you happen to know more about this please let us know.
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Dear Lissa,
So glad to hear that physically you are back to healthy.
It is so amazing to me that God lets doctors have the knowledge to figure out how certain things work.
What is even more amazing to me -- is to know that God knows it all and loves and cares for us so much!
Much love,
Mom Forbes
Hi Lissa, I have stumbled into your blog and have been so touched by the recent events in your life. You have shared so candidly and I know that God is bringing beauty out of ashes even now. I am a sonographer (ultrasound tech) and I scan high risk pregnancies once a week. We see all sorts of hard things, so it has been very meaningful to hear it from your perspective. From my knowledge of genetics, most chromosomal abnormalities are random events and although you have had one, your next pregnancy would be no higher risk than a normal pregnancy. However I'm no expert on the subject, and I encourage you to meet with a specialist. It will help put your mind at ease. I am so glad to hear that you are healthy now! Blessings, Elise Springer (Tevlin)
Hi Lissa & Nate,
Glad to hear that your health has returned. Let us know how your appointment turns out as we are interested in the answers also. You both are still in our thoughts and prayers. Maybe we will get a chance to see ya both when you come home to Michigan for the Christmas season.
Post a Comment