until now.
This past month has been a busy one. Not on purpose...just by circumstance. With my health and our usual busy summer schedule, we were naturally paving a daily schedule that involved many people, many outings, many late nights/early mornings....not a good schedule for anyone - let alone a tiny growing baby.
I didn't realize this until today.
Yesterday and today Nate and I noticed a big change in C. She wasn't her pleasant self during her awake time. She didn't want to go to bed. She didn't want to do anything when she was awake. She just looked helpless and cried a lot. NO fun!
My cousin Jolene told me about a book that talked about sleep habits for babies. I have yet to read it..but I did manage to find snipits of it online. From the short bit that I did read, it was obvious that C had all the signs of being completely exhausted! She has been sleep deprived! I didn't even consider the fact that she needs more sleep than we do as adults. Just as I finished reading that online I picked her up and set her down in her crib. Normally she fights this, but today she conked out! She has now been out for about an hour without a fuss.
I feel so bad that it took me 5 weeks to figure this out! Poor girl, she is just so tired!
Well, now we will try to get her on a sleep schedule. I hope it works. We just love it when she's a happy baby.
Anyone have advice about your own babies sleep schedules?
thanks!
8 comments:
YES, get that book that Jolene recommended - Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. We have it if you want mom and dad to bring it for you to look through when they come. Just let me know. It is so so awesome. :-)
It sounds like your getting some good advice from Jolene and Jenny. That's sounds like a good book.
Hope Charlotte and you get the rest you both need.
Love, Mom
We used the Baby Whisperer and loved it. Gabriel quickly adjusted to an easy schedule and it has been great ever since.
Yep that's the one Jenny. I tried to reserve it at the library, but it's already on hold for someone else. If your parents bring it I can read it that week and send it back with them.
Thanks for the advice!
Rhonda I will look into your book suggestion as well. I hope things are going well with your new move!
Lissa - Tina was telling me the same thing - that babies have to have a very strict schedule. I don't know anything about babies myself - but Tina does! Love, Marilyn
I love a schedule and so do kids. Don't worry about her being 5 weeks old, and just learning lots about sleep. I didn't read that book till Carter was 4 months .....what a LIFE SAVER... I was going CRAZY!
(Lack of sleep can do that to a person.)
(If you are just going to borrow the book, I would definitly take notes, for each age range, because it's great to be able to go back and look at the times and recommendations as they go through each of those ages.)
Don't feel bad Lis! You and her are both learning together! You will learn that there are a lot of things that once you figure it out, you will wonder why you hadn't been doing it all along! Take care!
My little Michael didn't really catch on to any sort of schedule until he was at least 5 months. Until then just remember that newborns need LOTS of sleep. Don't worry if she falls asleep off schedule, it's because she needs it. She'll catch on eventually. And I agree with C&J Knapp, you will want to reread that book with every new stage, take notes or buy it off amazon used or something, it's well worth it! Glad you're feeling better....
Laurel
Post a Comment