
In a few short weeks we're flying to Michigan for Christmas! We're looking forward to it. This will be little C's first flying adventure. Maybe she will get wings. =)
We're leaving very early in the morning, so we reserved a room at a hotel next to the airport. I think that will help with the transition. We can leave our car there too which will be nice on our way back.
Anyone have advice for flying with a baby? Do they need ID or a car seat on the plane? We're trying to bring as few things as possible so as not to feel like we're moving across country. I don't like stuff....it makes me feel claustrophobic...especially in those tiny plane seats.
I've seen professional fliers walk on the plane without carry-ons...just a book or a light weight jacket in hand..oh how I have envied them. Someday we will figure that out. To be a mom with a baby in hand and no carry-ons...is that even possible? That sounds like a big risk...potential blow outs, guaranteed spit ups, strikes of boredom...oh the risks you would take. Not sure if it's worth it....not yet anyway.

10 comments:
http://www.flyingwithkids.com/
I found this sight lissa on traveling with a baby on a plane hope something in there helps. Love, Mom
We took Beckham when he was 3 months to NYC. We didn't take a car seat. We rode the bus and subway the whole time. He wasn't crawling or anything so flying was easy. I think it's when they are movers that make it harder.
We also flew with Brooklyn to Florida when she was 11 months. We just brought snacks and she mainly slept. We've never had a problem. Have fun!!!!!! I'm sure she will do great! :)
I took Noah's car seat when we went back to Indianapolis. Southwest allows each ticketed passenger to check either a stroller or car seat on top of the two allowed bags. I just wrapped his car seat in 2 garbage bags, and it was good to go! Noah was very content to be in the Moby wrap the whole time! I know C is a little older! If you would like to borrow it feel free! It is wonderful! Also my doctor told me that if Noah's ears seemed to bother him on the plane I could give him .4 of infant tylenol. They didn't seem to bother him, I just made sure he was sucking on something when we were descending.
oops! forgot something. Since you didn't buy a ticket for C, you can't bring her car seat on board. You do have to get an infant pass for her when you check in the airport, and they say to bring the birth certificate. Southwest did not actually ask to see it, but we were told to travel with it.
Since airline rules are continually changing, I suggest you go to the airline web page and see what is currently required and/or suggested.
C should be just fine, since she won't get too bored from not being able to run around. You can "gate Check" her car seat, stroller for FREE. Meaning, take it through security with you, and leave it at the door of the plane, that way when you get out it's right there too. Or you can check it. (That's also FREE, no matter what airline, it's a federal law, since they are liable if you leave the airport without a carseat.) PackNplay, check, but you'll pay for it. (cheaper to see if you can find one on craigslist in the city you are headed to.) Diaper bag definitly bring, you can still bring your purse and 2 carry ons. (you and nate together) Buy diapers and wipes there (small pack if you only need a few, who wants to pay $25 to check a bag of diapers) Her clothes are so tiny, we just would pack our kids clothes around ours, so we don't take an extra suit case.
Have a great time.
Have a merry Christmas
yay, we are so excited! Our best trip was when Aaron was little - just took the soft sling type carrier (I could nurse in that, which also helps with ears and up & down transitions) and a backpack on the plane (snacks, toys, books, an extra outfit and diapers) and checked everything else. Feel free to ask if we have other things you may want/need while you are here!! We'd love to share whatever we can!
PS, I took a boppy pillow, we always leave around bedtime though, whn we fly, so I can nurse the baby, (we've done that with Carter and Chase), both when they were babies, and once they fell asleep, I just craddled them in my arms, but the boppy helped so I didn't have dead arms by the time I got there.
Ohhh....my, oh, my....we are SO EXCITED to spend time wtih you....and the GREAT-GRANDMAS are, too! I know it takes a lot of effort to plan and get here....and we'll buy diapers :)...just let us know the size and they'll be ready. We'll even change diapers :)
We've traveled a few times with Gabriel, so we invested in a car seat cover that we could check (for free). The nice thing is it is designed to up the car on your back as a backpack so you still have free arms for luggage and baby of course. :o) I would love to meet little C!
Post a Comment