.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Getting it done

Today marks day 6 of officially having keys to our new home. I'm pleased with how much has gotten done in such a short time. Although I cannot at all take credit for very much of it. My mom has been here for the past week taking care of all sorts of things. She has cleaned out the house, taken care of Charlotte so Nate and I could work, driven us to Home Depot on multiple occasions, cleaned out our fireplace, made curtains for Charlottes room and many many more things.
Yesterday we had some family and a friend over to help paint and clean up the yard. I wish I had my camera with me, but I did not. The before and after pictures of the yard are the most impressive. My uncle John was out there mowing the lawn 3 times! The grass was almost as tall as me when he started. Now it looks like a comfortable soft carpet of green! Thanks John!
My aunt Marilyn was doing the detailed paint work in our bedroom. She has an eye for detail, so she did very well on the cutting of trim. It looks GREAT! My uncle Dale was there doing yard work with John. He cleared out the side planter areas so it looks much nicer now. I think our neighbors are most thankful for the transformation of the yard. =)
My dad and Nate replaced the kitchen sink and fixed the leaking pipes. I'm thankful for a deeper sink to do dishes in.
My mom watched Charlotte all day so I could stay at the house and work on things.
Kayla came by while she was on-call at the hospital. She helped me paint the guest room and the living room. I think the colors are really starting to come together. It was good to catch up with her while we painted.

After the crew took off, Nate picked up a floor sander at the equipment rental store and began sanding the floors. He stayed at thehouse and sanded the floors until about 2:30am! I heard him quietly coming through the house late at night. He said he was sore all over from the strong vibration of the sander. I guess it's hard to maneuver around so you really have to use your arms to direct it to where you want it to go.
He slept in to about 9am this morning and then he watched Charlotte while I patched up holes in the floor. Now he's back at the house sanding one last time. We're hoping to have the first coat of polyurethane on it by this evening. They are really looking fantastic! I think we will be glad that we did the floors now before the furniture is in the house. It's much easier that way.

Well, lots more to do and lots of things checked off the list! I am excited about it!

I will keep posting news.

3 comments:

dan and cheryl forbes said...

WOW!!!!! What a great help everyone has been.....sure praying for GO Power to finish everything up!

Anonymous said...

Wow Nate you are a trooper. Way to go. IB my friend, and bed rest.
I can't wait to see the floors, Lissa take pictures.
I'm sure it looks awesome.

Wandering Knapps said...

I LOVE hearing the improvment stories. Sounds a lot like Chris and I in our Albany home. We worked on it hours on end, till wee hours of the monrning to finish before we moved in. Chris too was sanding our floors and finishing them one night till about 3am. AWESOME. I look forward to some pics.
PS. You let uncle Dale do manual labor? (Do you know he's on a first name basis at the cliniq, they call him "Tim the Tool Man") :o)
Much Love