.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Our beach gettaway

Several people have been asking us how we are doing lately. We have really felt so much support and love from many of you this week. I know this would have been so much harder without all of the support. So thank you for asking us how we are doing. That has meant a lot.

We have been at the coast these past 3 days. My aunt Sharon has generously let us use her adorable beach house as a much needed getaway. The weather has been warm and sunny like a June day! Nate and I took a lot of walks down the beach and naps in the sand. We lounged around the house, spent time journaling and talking with each other and of course took breaks to go shopping and eat clam chowder. It’s been a really refreshing time for us. I really like talking with Nate. He is such a good listener and knows just the right things to say. Spending time with him has been the best part of this trip.

During our talks this week we've realized that grief looks so much different than we thought it would. I expected to be in tears for months. And honestly I felt guilty when my tears stopped after a few short days. My head had been pounding with head aches. Our eyes were so puffy that they looked like they were swollen shut. But then our grief suddenly changed to days and days full of laughter! It just seemed so unnatural to be laughing. Some of those times I know were needed for our own personal healing. It is exhausting to be in tears for so long. Our bodies craved a release. And for us laughing is a favorite outlet.
Most of our laughter came from Nate retelling stories of his own childhood. Anyone who has been fortunate enough to hear these stories knows that his childhood was full of hilarious moments! Toga parties, “Donny Varney Specials,” Marathons, special music with Cory during chapels are just a few of the stories. He later admitted to me that retelling these moments were his way of coping with reality. Those memories were joyful and safe to think about and he was craving joyful memories.

I know we are still grieving even if it is in the strange form of laughter. We crave comfort foods (chocolate!!), we stare off into space, we forget the other person is in the room sometimes, we look at children who walk by and become sad. We saw a young couple walking down the beach with their little toddler and I know we were both wondering what their lives were like. We have been drawn to activities that we wanted to do with our son. I was reading Nate children’s book the other day and holding him like I would hold a child. I just craved that same feeling of comforting a person. I wanted to fill my arms with someone.
I told him that I was looking forward to the 3am feedings. I was already in the routine of getting up early in the middle of the night. I was looking forward to seeing a little Forbes in the middle of the night who I could comfort.
Thinking of those thoughts really makes me want to have a baby again. We have talked some about having another child, but that’s just it, the next child would be ANOTHER child. We cannot replace Isaac with another baby. And just because I want to do all those motherly things I need to mourn this loss before we try to engage in a new life. It would not be fair for our second baby to feel their purpose in life was to comfort our grief. They need to know and feel like they were anticipated just as much. I do want to fully mourn for Isaac. It will be a long road.
Knitting mittens have also been a huge part of my grieving process. Knitting mittens you say? Ya, I thought that was odd too, but when we came home that second night all I could think about was how much I needed to finish knitting those mittens. I grabbed them up and went to work. In just a half of a day I was finished with a beautiful pair of green mittens. Why was that so important to me? I needed to be a part of making something that was finished that I could hold, admire, and know that it was good. It was so hard for me to know that our son was not able to get all of the chromosomes or whatever he was lacking to be a fully healthy baby boy. And there was nothing that we could have done, but with the mittens I could make them and finish them.
It was healing to complete that.

As I think back to who we were this last summer before we found out we were going to be parents, I quickly realize we are not the same people. The thought of us having a child and of us actually going through the birthing process has changed us. We have moved up to a new level as a couple. We are now parents. Even though we don’t have Isaac with us, we are still parents. We won’t have a child to give us a mothers or fathers day gift this year, but we will still give them to each other. We are after all parents to Isaac. We may have only carried him for 15 weeks, but as one of my favorite authors once said,
“A person is a person no matter how small” – Dr. Seuss.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Lissa, you said in one of your earlier posts that you don't have a gift with words, but I think you're wrong! Thank you for sharing so poignantly how you both are feeling and processing.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help during this time. We'd love to hang out with you when you need company, or whatever you need.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lissa,
Your writings are both thoroughly insightful and wonderful. Even as He has the Master Plan in His Hands - I believe He has prepared for you a new path - that of a writer (and a Mom too!)

Our love to both you and Nate. Love, Marilyn and John

Anonymous said...

Lissa & Nate-

You are doing the right thing in your mourning process. No one goes through the process the same way. Knitting mitten and laughing are perfect ways to walk through grief. You are right, it is physically and emotionally taxing to cry all the time. In addition your started Issac's life with laugher, you are continuing his life with your laughter.

You are wise to recognize that you must complete your grieving process before contemplating bring a new life into your home. Lissa, I hear great wisdom in your words and I know that God will make something beautiful out of your ashes. In time, you may be used to counsel someone who is going through the same grief.

Journaling and taking comfort in the Word are also important healing helps.

I love you both and am praying that the Lord will hold you close.

Love,
Donna

Missy said...

Lissa,

What an amazing post...you are an incredible person and I love reading through this...so honest, so open, and so you...just you and not ashamed to be that! I LOVE that about you!

I wish I could be there to give you a hug, and do some knitting together...

Love you!

Miss

memepapa said...

Hi Nate & Lissa,
Thanks for updating. It also helps us to know how our prayers are being answered. As Corys mom, remembering the times that Cory & Nate had together brings many smiles. They were quite a blast to have around. We are contnuing to uphold you in our thoughts and prayers.
As someone mentioned, you have the
gift of being a writer. :)
In prayer, Kevin & Tammie Church

Anonymous said...

Lissa & Nate
We could not wish anything more for you than to love each other, comfort each other, and to remember Issac in a positive way. The Lord has given both of you insight and wisdom in what you are going through. Grief is a process experienced in a different way by as many individuals as go through it. You are so very special for including those who love and care about you. Thank you.

We sent you a rose today. It most likely the last rose of this summer. The forcast is for frost tonight. This rose is a little scaggly and the follage was removed because of black spot. But this rose is still a symbol of our love. Kind of like us, for we have seen better days too. This rose is also a reminder of the fragility of life. It is beatiful and then it is gone, but the memory will linger forever. Please enjoy the rose today.
Grandma & pa M

Lissa said...

Thank you for the beautiful rose Grandma and Pa M.! I got it today and enjoyed it!

Love you both,
Lissa

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your loss. You guys are in my prayers. If I can do anything for you please let me know, after all, we are neighbors!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your words. They touched me deeply to tears in a way that only those who have experienced this can truly understand. "That Friend speaks my mind."

Your thoughts on mourning this loss fully before having another was helpful and a good reminder to me. Thank you.

I love you both,
Melissa

Amy said...

Dear Lisa, I hope you do have another child, and soon. You will probably morn Isaac off and on forever. Nothing is going to change that. A pregnancy takes time, nine months. Your next child is not going to feel like they are replacing anything. They are already wanted, just like Isaac was wanted. I think having another child is a very healthy idea. You both have so much love to give.
BTW, I laugh allot when I am in pain. Laughter and tears are almost the same emotion.

Matt & Nicki said...

Just came by to see if you had updated your blog. . .you have continued to be in my thoughts and prayers. Thank-you for sharing your heart with us. My husband and I miscarried our first as well and although I was not as far along as you, the grief and the hurt is still there. Please know that there are other moms who will continue to uphold you in prayer as you face the days ahead. Although we don't know each other personally, there is something unique about the bond of believers. You will be in my prayers!
nicole tolosa

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys were able to get away to the coast. I love your new pics! Lots of thoughts and hugs, Jenenifer

bethany said...

I am completely in awe of the deepness you are able to reach already in this. You are completely right, from the moment you find out you are having a baby he becomes part of your life, who you are... and it will always be that way.

It is incredible how they change your world, make things harder, crazier and just so much better! You are an amazing mom, it is so sweet to hear you say that you are looking forward to the 3am feedings...that may change, but the heart you have will never change.