Even as I write this tears continue to flow. I didn't think I had any left. Nate and I have experienced every kind of emotion.
I'm not very good with words, but I will try to retail the past 48 hours.
Walking through the double doors of the hospital that night I felt deeply saddened knowing that when we came back through the next day a very special part of us would be gone. And I would no longer be pregnant.
We were met by a very compassionate nurse in the maternity ward. Heidi is her name. She was our nurse at first, but soon we realized she was an angel. I am so grateful that she was working that night.
The doctor and nursing staff met us with their sympathies. They ended up spending 3 hours talking with us before we began the labor. Their thoughtfulness and patience was beyond comforting. Heidi talked me through every detail as it was happening so as to calm my nerves. I kept telling her and the other staff that I just wasn't expecting to be here on my monday night. We were planning on doing a cider press with our neighbors. And this was just all so much to handle so quickly. I think Heidi understood and was especially sensitive to both Nate and I and our needs. I so appreciated that she took care of Nate too. He was going through just as much as I was only I think it was harder for him because he didn't have anything to do but sit, pace, help me, hold my hand and cry.
I was mostly nervous about having an epidural shot. Heidi sat next to me and let me squeeze her hand until it lost all color. She spoke kind words and coached me through.
Once we were finished, I felt a bit of stress released. She gave me the medication to begin labor. Now the waiting began. Nate and I were so tired by this point. Our eyes were swollen from crying. Our heads pounded. It was 3am. Nate tried to fall asleep on his window seat bed 10 feet from my bed. We didn't like being so far away from each other, but our tiredness kicked in even stronger. I quickly fell asleep in my bed.
Only 3 hours later I awoke to Heidi coming in to check up on me. She said everything was looking good and that we should continue to rest. As she was leaving I called her over again. I felt myself going into labor. She got the doctor right away and sure enough our son was born. Nate was right at my bedside. We looked at each other not quite sure if we should be happy that it happened so soon or if we should cry knowing it was over.
We weren't able to see him right away because the doctor was concerned about the blood I was losing.
That's when everything happened so fast. In only a few minutes there were 6 nurses running around grabbing instruments and getting ready to move me to the operating room. I felt like I was going to pass out. Heidi was there the whole time coaching me through the process.
Poor Nate couldn't come in the room with me. He had to wait by himself in our birthing suite. He later told me it was the most agonizing hour. He was so worried. Both the chaplin and Heidi came in to check on him to make sure he was doing well. I'm so glad they did.
Meanwhile in the operating room I was paralyzed from the waist down with medication. The last thing I remembered was the doctor giving orders to a nurse. And then I was out.
What felt like 10 min. later (really an hour later) they were wheeling me back into our room. Everything had gone really well they said. I was glad to be back with Nate. He looked so exhausted.
The doctor walked over to our bed with our little son. We were nervous to see him, but also very curious. I will try my best to describe him, but really how do you describe a human being with just words. His face looked so peaceful and it seemed like he was resting. His eyes had the same distinct look as Nate's eyes. They were closed, but you could see they were big eyes just like Nate's. That's when it hit me that this was not just a person, he is a part of us with characteristics like ours. Nate said his nose looked like mine, a small button nose. And I just couldn't take my eyes off his ears. They were the tiniest little ears with all the detail of a full grown ear. Even as such a young person the detail was outstanding. His little arms and legs were beautiful and of course he had a little pot belly. =)
I still try to remember him at night when I close my eyes. I don't want to forget the details. We even drew a picture of him when we got home so as to help remember what we saw. It doesn't do him justice, but it was helpful.
I asked Nate what he wanted to name him and without hesitating he said, "I want to name him Isaac." The meaning behind the name struck me with such intensity that my eyes whelled up with big tears and I could hardly get the words out, "that is a perfect name. We will name him Isaac."
Isaac Andrew Forbes born 6:49am October 16th - stillbirth.
The hospital did a wonderful job of honoring our baby as a human being and as our son. They offered a burial site for him not too far from the St. Vincent Hospital in Beaverton. They also sent us home with a beautiful box full of treasures to help us remember him by. His ultrasound picture, his birth bracelet, a tiny outfit, a baby blanket and a nice card signed by our wonderful nursing staff. It's a treasure. I'm so grateful for how well things went considering the circumstances. The kindness shown by strangers was overwhelming and so very much needed.
Coming home was also very good. We were finally able to let our guard down and mourn the way we wanted to. We were both so worried in the hospital about the physical aspects of everything that we just had to wait until we got home to cry like we wanted to.
I am still in the recovery stage. My body aches and feels sore. It will take a few weeks before my body is back to it's original state.
We were and are blessed by all the great emails and messages, flowers, chocolates and cards sent by so many of you. Your prayers and support were felt in the hospital and even now. We are so grateful for many things.
Thank you for caring. We really don't ask that you understand because we don't either. And that is just fine. We know it will be a long process and something that we will never "get over." We lost our son and that will always be a part of us.
I imagine that in Heaven Jesus greeted Isaac with His arms wide open kneeling down eager to scoop him up and hold him in His arms for a long long time.
I know someday I will do the same thing.
Thursday, October 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
26 comments:
God bless you both. Kevin and I read this together and through the whole letter it was read with tears. How touching, sad and yet a beautiful way to express your grief. Thank you for sharing this difficult time with us so that we can specifically pray for you both.
You are loved very much.
Tammie & Kevin Church
Lissa and Nate,
I know you will always hold Isaac in your hearts as a part of you. Love, Aunt Sharon
Dear Dear Lissa and Nate,
Thanks for sharing your grief..... so much from your hearts. Issac was so so loved by us...more than you will ever know. We hold a very special place in our hearts for all of you. You are in our prayers. May God comfort you, and make you strong. Much love, Uncle Dale & Aunt Cindy
Dear Nathan and Lissa,
Thank you for sharing what must have been such a hard thing to write.
We are so grateful that God used very special people to care for both of you and Issac.
What a wonderful promise we have that someday we will all be together forever.
Continued prayer & love,
Mom and Dad Forbes
Nate & Lissa,
I know sharing this wasn't easy. I don't know what to say. I know you will grieve and be sad, I pray evreyone's prayers and thoughts are comforting to you. We love you, and Isaac, it's amazing to know that God loves y'all more. God Bless.
Chris and Jolene Knapp
dear Nate and Lissa, I know how hard it is for you both to loose someone so much a part of you, Isaac will always be in your heart. Thank you for sharing what had to be one of the hardest thing you will ever go through. you are in our prayers and on our mind. Love Aunt Dianna & Uncle Paul
Roo and Nate,
My Prayer for You:
Lord, I thank you that you hold Isaac in you arms right now. I ask Father that you do the same with Lissa and Nate. Holy Spirit I ask that you surround, cover and fill Lissa and Nate and comfort them as only you can do. Jesus thank you for holding them and walking with them every step of the way. Strengthen and comfort them in this hour.
In Jesus precious name.
Amen
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I love you!
Donna
Lissa and Nate,
Your words were beautiful just like you. Your last line especially was so moving. You are two of the dearest most special people God has brought across my path. I wish there was more to say but you're right I don't understand. Thankfully prayer is enough even if it doesn't feel like it is. I am lifting you both up before our Heavenly Father. I trust that He is holding you and your little one close. Love you.
Though I don't know you personally, I grieved for you as I read your touching account this morning. I'll be praying for you both today, and your families.
Karen Adams
You know that feeling you get when reading about something sad...Your body tingles starting at your toes and works it's way up through you legs, torso, arms, and right up the back of your neck until tears form in your eyes...I cannot nearly express how I feel in this very moment hearing of this news. I would that I could reach through the electronic network, stretch out my arms, and surround you both with a hug of warmth, but alas, I cannot do so. I pray however that you physically feel the love of God surrounding you in this moment as you recover from this time. I trust that it is not easy, but God gives us strength when we feel we cannot find it. We will be praying that it is strength sustaining for you. God bless you both. I would make you a warm, soothing pot of soup, but I do not think the mailman would carry it to you before it gets cold again...We love you both. Thank you for being so open to share the details of this moment with us.
Love,
Zach and Angela Dugger
Dear Lisa & Nate, We love you so much. Thank you for sharing what happened. I am sorry I never got to meet Isaac but I know that I will meet him. I bet he will be funny, and sweet just like the two of you. I'm grateful to God you were taken care of with so much care and understanding. I'm sure you will never forget this experience. I'm sure it will shape who you are. You already had soft hearts...but now even more sympathy and kindness will follow I think.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, when my Grandpa passed away this year I found that to be the biggest healing and comfort. THank you for your testimony and I'm so glad your hospital realized the life that was in you as a person. I am praying for your whole healing!
Dear Nate and Lissa,
Thank you for sharing your hearts. May the Lord continue to cover you in his peace. You are both, incredibly special.
Warm Thoughts,
Steph Belt
Lissa and Nate,
I am so very sorry. I am just sitting here crying for the both of you and your loss. I love you guys and you will be in my prayers. May God be with you and comfort you.
Love, Denice
Lissa & Nate:
This written account had to be both one of the hardest things and one of the most theroputic that you could do. No need to appologize for your writing. You expressed your expreience very well.Thank you for sharing your heart. You are so very loved by so many.
We are so very thankful for the tenderness of professional staff at the hospital. Too often staff is so stressed with tasks that even if they wanted, time does not allow for much personal inter-action. Praise God this was not so in your situation. Grandma & pa Moreni
Nate & Lissa, we are so sorry for your loss. The writing of your experience was amazing. I cried for you both when I read it. Our prayers are with you as you heal. Love and miss you guys!!! Take care. Uncle Phil & Aunt Carol
I wept as I read your post. I have been praying for you both and will continue to do so. May God grant His healing and comfort to you.
Rachel Feehan
Nate and Lissa, I just read this post to my husband and wept through it all!! My heart breaks for you and you have been in my thoughts and prayers for days now. I pray you will find comfort and rest in Your Heavenly Father.
Lissa & Nate,
I ached for you tonight as I read your last 2 blogs. Please know you have people praying for you around the world! May you find strength enough only to collapse into the strong arms of God and find your comfort there.
With compassion, Kim Stave
i am sitting here reading your post, my heart so heavy for you as i nurse my son. i could hardly get through your post as i read it outloud to my husband. we were both so sad for you all, especially when you said that you closed your eyes trying to remember him. I can't imagine how hard that must have been for you to write this. thank you for sharing such a personal, private moment with so many. we are praying for you.
shyla and nathan rohrer
Lissa and Nate,
We have been praying for you both and our hearts go out to you. Isaac is a strong and beautiful name for your son.
His peace to you,
Ryan, Meredith (Jessup), and Quinn Dougherty
Hey Lissa and Nate,
I heard about Issac through Missy. She sent me to your blog, and although I really have no idea what to write, I do want to thank you for sharing your heart. I can't imagine what such an experience is like...to loose a son that is so innocent. But what comfort to know that God knows exactly what it is like.
May God hug you.
Lissa and Nate,
Tears streamed down my face as I read this. Being a nurse it touched me how much I can impact and be a support to my patients. It's such a difference too, knowing that we will see little Isaac again. We have that hope...keep sharing it with others! I will be praying for you both!
love,
Christy Rummel
Nathan and Lissa, I am so glad that you are laughing again and that you had a chance for the time together at the beach. God heals in wonderful ways, doesn't he?
Love, Nathan's Great-Aunt Rosemary
Nate and Lissa,
I just want to say that you'll be in my prayers. I know we haven't talked in months, and Nate I've never met you face to face, but I think about you guys every now and then. I'm so sorry to hear about you two have been through, but I know it will be a testimony to others and it's for a reason.
All my love,
Lyn Armstrong (now Imgrund...Chad and I finally got married)
I know this is from some years ago. But I thought I remembered you going through this. I am very sorry. I now know what it is like to loose a son. :( I was 5 months and had no idea what this was like.
I loved reading your story, especially knowing you have a daughter now and have another on the way. This gave me hope. Thank you.
It is all really new, it just happened this Thursday. I hope at some point my eyes will not be swollen shut.
Post a Comment