How did this happen? I grew up in a house where the phrase "oh I can sew that" was commonly heard and commonly performed. But for some reason I was never the one saying or doing that.
Well it is now time to take on a new hobby of sewing. With a sewing machine (provided by my grandma Stuewe) and some fabric etc... There are no longer excuses.
I will happily admit I am a rookie. A 4 year old probably knows more than I do about sewing, but I am thrilled to jump in with both feet.
My first challenge (and I hope it will have an encouraging outcome) will be curtains for the nursery. I thought that would be a safe thing to start off with.
Fabric depot (located in Portland) has an outdoor sale starting this week. I'm hoping to stop by to gather yards of inspiration.
I tend to learn best by observing and then doing. It will take me a bit to try to navigate myself through on my own, but I may learn more that way.
If anyone knows about sewing classes in the area please let me know. I have been on the look out, but alas no luck.
More on my sewing attempts to come..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I did sew a lot of things, and you and Carmen didn't seem to be interested to learn. All the attempts to give you sewing kits for Easter and for college going away gifts didn't help. You both were more interested in school activities, sports and music there was no time for sewing why would you want to do that?
You made me a pin cushion and I still have it. I made Carmen make an outfit once and she never wanted to see a sewing machine again. She was frustrated and so was I. I decided not to go there with you. I still have the outfit Carmen made. I think in this culture we live in it's a lost art others things have taken over. I'm sure back in the days of boys take shop and girls take sewing and cooking it was another story. But now days it's a struggle to find a sewing class and sewing stores sell craft supplies. You really have to want to sew for it to happen. It's not cost efficient like it use to be to sew it can sometimes cost more to make something than to buy it. Lissa you made that beautiful black dress and you will do great at anything you put your mind to doing. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Love, mom
I agree with your mom - you are going to do great!! I wasn't motivated to learn to sew until I had to go to college and we had to wear skirts all the time - and I wanted LONG lined wool skirts with no slits. :-) You definitely can't find those in any stores! Curtains are a great first project!! Can't wait to see what you come up with. Warning - it can be addicting! :-)
Yes, I agree. Times have certainly changed. When I was 12 I learned to sew on an old treddle machine that belonged to my grandmother and then my mother. In fact, I inherited it when my mom moved into a small apartment.
Thing of it is, if you have a desire to sew, you will figure it out. Maybe not anything complicated to start, but you will be amazed at what you can do with just a running stitch.
If you really want to take classes, inquire at a store that sells sewing machines. They have an interest in making sure customers know how to use their product.
Good luck with the curtains. I'm sure you will do fine.
Should have taught Nathan how to sew and he could have helped :)
I think you will like it....it's in your genes...Looking forward to
your sewing project news....I think you might be able to google your questions and find lots of information online, maybe even some demonstrations. Happy sewing!
Mom Forbes
I remember a few outfits I made (one was a silly looking "sailor"-like outfit for Missionettes and the other was a pretty difficult navy blue dress made out of silk-like fabric for a formal - but actually that was probably all you Mom now that I think of it - pretty sure that would have frustrated anyone - sewing with silk and it had a lining in it. Quilts are fun and simple and I can sew a button on or patch up a ripped shirt alright...but Mom and Grandma are right...it's a lost art (one that several friends of mine in the city are trying to learn too)...if only I had room for a sewing machine!
Post a Comment